The Powerful Benefits Of Chiropractic Care For PainSeeing a chiropractor isn’t just about getting your back cracked. (Though it feels sooooo good.) When you find the right chiropractor, you’ll also see benefits of chiropractic care that range from reducing your pain to improving your mood to saving you money. The powerful benefits of chiropractic care for pain patients
1. Chiropractic care provides powerful pain reliefSome studies have found that chiropractic care can reduce pain even more effectively than medications. A study in 2012 found that spinal manipulation was more effective than medication for acute neck pain. An earlier study in 2013 found that not only did patients with neck pain show faster improvement with chiropractic treatments but also that they paid less for their treatment overall. We’ve recently rounded up even more research backing the use of chiropractic to help relieve pain in our post “6 New Chiropractic Pain Management Research Findings.” Dr. Axe also provides more research showing the benefits of chiropractic care for:
- Lower back pain
- Neck pain
- Frozen shoulder syndrome
2. Chiropractors treat the causes of pain, not the symptomsChiropractic care can’t cure everything. In many cases, though, it can reverse the cause of some of your pain. If your neck is out of whack, taking a painkiller will treat the symptoms – but seeing a chiropractor might just correct the cause of the pain. They look specifically to the nervous system of the body. This system controls everything, from reflexive responses like breathing to every movement we make. Since nerves run up the spine and radiate out through the body, chiropractors believe that spine health is everything.
3. You can find customisable treatmentsChiropractors have many different techniques and tools at their disposal. If you have mobility issues or a painful body part, let your chiropractor know. He or she will probably be able to find a way to work around the problem. This can be done by tables that are modified for specific body shapes or sizes, or tools that can soften chiropractic adjustments.
4. Chiropractic care is low riskThe most common side effect of chiropractic adjustment is some soreness or aches at the site of the adjustment. The Mayo Clinic also notes that some patients may experience fatigue or headache after receiving chiropractic care. In some cases, worsened pain, herniated discs, or stroke are possible, but these are extremely rare.
5. Drug-free pain managementPain patients tend to be very familiar with pain medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, but chiropractic adjustments can provide totally drug-free pain relief. It’s a great option for anyone interested in reducing medication use. Chiropractic doctors utilise this drug-free approach since they treat the whole body as an holistic system, focusing less on symptoms and more on maintaining a healthy body. It’s the foundation for their approach to patient care. Although there are various techniques that chiropractors use to treat patients, none of them are as invasive as surgery, and patients report few, if any, side effects as are common with medications. For many patients, this one of the most important benefits of chiropractic care.
6. Chiropractic complements other pain treatmentsManaging discomfort as a chronic pain patient often means utilising a variety of different therapies, such as nerve blocks, oral medications, or transcutaneous electrical nervous stimulation (TENS). Because chiropractic care is drug-free, it can be used in conjunction with almost any other therapy (although it’s always important to make sure your entire healthcare team is aware of all other treatments).
7. Chiropractors provide one more pain-management toolWhen you live with pain on a regular basis, it’s important to have an arsenal of tools to manage that pain. Chiropractic care alone might not manage your pain condition, but it does offer one more way to reduce your pain.
8. Chiropractic care for back and neck pain worksMuch of the research behind the benefits of chiropractic care revolve around how it can help with back or neck pain. And while it can help with many other conditions, this is certainly one of its biggest advantages since millions suffer from these two conditions. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health notes that in 2002, approximately four million people in the U.S. used chiropractic care. They note that: “Among those who had used chiropractic for back pain, 66 percent perceived ‘great benefit’ from their treatments.” Fox News reports on the reason behind these chiropractic care benefits:
“Chiropractors are best known for safely and effectively treating acute back and neck pain, as well as headaches. Whereas a medical doctor might prescribe pain medicine, muscle relaxers or anti-inflammatory drugs, and an orthopaedic doctor might suggest surgery, a chiropractor will treat your back problems by hand, through manipulation of the spine.”
9. Chiropractors can help you after work or auto accident injuriesAccording to Williams Integracare Clinic, one of the biggest benefits of chiropractic care is how it can help patients after a work injury or car accident. In both of these situations, chiropractors know how to help you with insurance claims. If you’re suffering from an injury from the work accident, or something like whiplash from the auto accident, a chiropractor can also help you find relief.
10. Find new complementary therapiesMany chiropractors also practice massage therapy or have TENS units in their offices, so they can incorporate these other therapies into your care. Remember, one of the greatest benefits of chiropractic care is how they treat you as the whole person–not just your symptoms. Taking a multi-disciplinary approach is part of that.
11. Chiropractors can connect you with local recommendationsEven if your chiropractor doesn’t offer a therapy you’re interested in – such as acupuncture, massage, or physical therapy – he or she probably knows someone nearby who would be a great fit for you. Chiropractors are often deeply connected with a larger healthcare community, with an emphasis on patient care, and can help you create a complete pain management team.
12. Chiropractic care is a non-invasive treatment optionChiropractic care is based on the targeted application of pressure or movement. One of the best benefits of chiropractic care is that treatments are usually fairly fast, and you can leave almost immediately after. Right on time to enjoy the rest of your evening!
13. Chiropractors provide nutrition and exercise suggestionsIf you’re a pain patient with a specific part of your body that hurts regularly, let your chiropractor know. He or she might be able to suggest a few easy, quick exercises to help control your pain at home. As WebMD also notes, many chiropractors also provide nutritional counselling that can be incorporated into your treatment plan.
14. You can improve your posturePain patients with sore backs may find themselves hunched over or leaning to the side. Chiropractic adjustments can help correct the painful issues, leading to much better posture. 100% Chiropractic explains that:
“Over time, regular chiropractic adjustments can help align tilting and curves in your spine and help you improve your posture. This can be particularly beneficial when it comes to the curve in your neck. Many people develop neck issues younger than ever, due to their constant position sitting in front of a computer screen or hunched over a phone. With regular chiropractic care you can improve this posture and stand taller and stronger.”
15. Chiropractors share ergonomic ideasThe culture of Australia has turned into a culture of sitting. Long gone are the days of physical activity from sun up to sun down. Mostly, our sun is the artificial glow of the laptop or iPad, and we sit more often than not. This culture of sitting is incredibly detrimental to our spinal health. We have developed a more forward head posture that puts pressure on our neck, up to 2.5kgs per cm that we are forward of proper posture. Correcting this forward slump alone is one of the benefits of chiropractic care that can result in a reduction of headaches and sinus issues as well as a drastic reduction in neck pain.
16. Chiropractic care is preventative careWhen the spinal cord is misaligned, it can lead to muscle stiffness or pain, pinched nerves, or other issues. Going to a chiropractor regularly can prevent these issues from occurring in the first place. 17. Sink into relaxation Sometimes the day-to-day can wreak havoc on you, but chiropractors’ offices are usually very quiet, serene places. Take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to lie down and let your chiropractor work the sore spots out of your back. Seriously, it feels amazing and those pops are soooo satisfying.
18. Chiropractors can help with athletic performanceLots of top athletes undergo chiropractic care on a regular basis, since the benefits can lead to improved performance. Half of all NFL teams even have a chiropractor on staff. Undoing the punishment the body takes in sports
- Treating a variety of sports injuries
- Enhancing performance and reducing change of injury
- Reducing pain symptoms